Here's this interesting blog I found written by a woman who was a freshman at the university in 1998, one of Matthew's classmates, who didn't know him personally but was deeply affected by the events and subsequently by "The Laramie Project."
This is how she starts her first entry:
I guess a good way of explaining why I felt the need to start a weblog about The Laramie Project would be with an anecdote. I was walking with a friend to grab some dinner a few weeks ago when he cheerfully replied to something I said with the quip, "Well, tie me to a fence and pistol-whip me." I felt like he slugged me in the stomach. To my friend, who is an out gay male, that image is little more than a cultural reference used just a little too casually among his like-minded friends. To me, I can't see that image in my head without seeing Matt Shepard's face right in front of me and revisiting everything that happened afterward. My friend had no clue how badly that quip shocked me because at the time, I had never told him that I was there.
No comments:
Post a Comment