Sunday, February 6, 2011

20/20 Transcript, 1998

What Happened the Night Matt Shepard Was Killed
October 14, 1998

Interesting in light of what we were discussing today...Plays out almost like Moment 14 (?) that we read toward the end of rehearsal. Kristen Price, Matt Galloway, Rob Debree, and other Laramie residents speak. Interesting to see who is talking to the press and then who ends up talking to the Tectonic Theater Company when they arrive.

1 comment:

  1. In light of the discussion we were having about who is willing to speak and who is not, I think it's really interesting that Kristen Price asked to not have her face shown. She is clearly not requesting anonymity in her portrayal during this show, but chooses to have her face hidden in another public realm. I've been thinking a lot about shadows, facelessness, and what it means to hide - either behind a persona (à la Doc O'Connor) or behind the mask presented to Laramie following Matthew Shephard's death. Kristen Price and the rest of the characters in the play have chosen to interview, yes - but who is still anonymous? Who can we trust? In terms of design elements, I think this poses an interesting opportunity to play with who we can see, and who is hidden. Who has a metaphorical shadow cast on them by the objectification of their town, and thus, their identity?

    All of this is cheese sauce, but it's rattling around my brain cage so I thought I'd let some of it spill out here. That's what blogs are for, right?

    ReplyDelete